Overseas gambling websites
Just because a gambling website looks Australian doesn't mean it's legal in Australia.
If the website offers online casino games and slot machines that use real money, it's probably an illegal overseas website. It's risky and it's illegal.
You won't get the same protections
If you use an illegal service, Australian regulators won't be able to help you if:
- you think the service provider has treated you or another player badly
- the service provider won't give you your winnings.
These are examples of actual complaints received by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA). If you're in a situation like these, you probably won't see your money again.
The risks are high
- Illegal operators let you deposit money into your account on their website or app, but if you win you can't access your winnings.
- Illegal operators close their services or move them elsewhere, and your money disappears.
- After you stop using an illegal operator, it continues to withdraw funds from your bank account without your permission.
How to recognise illegal websites
Watch out for these types of gambling services:
- slot machines (pokies)
- casino-style games (like poker, blackjack and roulette)
- betting on the outcome of lotteries or keno
- in-play betting on sporting events.
Even if you can access these services, you won’t have the customer protection you’d get from a legal, licensed Australian service.